Database Reliability Engr ElasticSearch
Want to help us bring our fundamental data stores to multiple clouds - public and private?
About us at Cognite
At Cognite, we want to make data do more. Our teams are working on building a data platform and applications as part of the next-generation industrial data ecosystem that Cognite powers.
Our technology enables heavy asset industries to become more efficient, safer, and sustainable through data contextualisation.
Our Database Reliability Engineering Team is a key enabler in allowing our internal teams to deliver on this mission.
Cognite’s Data Fusion SaaS product stores and processes operational data at scale utilizing state-of-the-art Machine Learning techniques, enabling the world's largest industrial companies to make data-driven decisions.
Our platform is running on both public and private clouds.
Our Database Reliability Engineering Team
Our Database Reliability Engineering (DBRE) team is responsible for the continuous well-being of our portfolio of PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, FoundationDB, and Kafka clusters.
These collectively process billions of records per second across both public and private clouds. We run on top of Kubernetes as a platform for consistency at scale.
We have clusters spread across the globe, delivering data processing for our customers 24x7.
Inside the Database Reliability Engineering team, we write the systems that operate the databases our developer teams use.
In this role, you will focus on the Strimzi Kafka operator : improving the operator, developing tooling for our internal deployment, observability, and troubleshooting our Kafka clusters.
There is room to cross-train beyond Kafka if you desire or to stay focused and go deep : we value both patterns.
We are a growing team and are looking to hire people. We are looking for both junior and senior engineers. Applications should have one of the following attributes :
- Experience writing operators on Kubernetes (in any language)
- Or experience operating Elasticsearch in production
- Or experience writing and supporting production Java services
- Or experience writing and supporting production services in some other language and a desire to learn Java
About our Tech stack
We work with open source technologies that need to run in multiple cloud environments both public clouds (like Google Cloud Platform and Azure) and private clouds.
Managed Kubernetes (GKE, AKS) forms the base that we build our products on top of. Where possible, we have used PaaS to store states, such as Google Bigtable, Spanner, and Pubsub.
Our backend developer teams work with Java, Scala, Python, and Rust. CI / CD is handled by a combination of Github, Jenkins, and Spinnaker to test and deploy code to production.
The infrastructure is managed as code with Terraform and Atlantis and services are monitored using Prometheus, Grafana, and Lightstep.
In Database Reliability Engineering at Cognite, we build and maintain foundational components that provide cross-cloud self-serve platform services to our product teams and operate those foundational components professionally.
Life as a Database Reliability Engineer for Kafka at Cognite
- Write software tools to assist and deploy ElasticSearch in Cognite
- Azure, Google, AWS, and OpenShift Kubernetes deployments
- Establish robust reliability engineering to support these clusters, creating self-serve clusters-as-a-service for our product teams
- Managing aspects like monitoring, chaos testing, alerting, on-call rotations, internal best-practices education, and capacity forecasting
- Enable product teams to focus on using the clusters, and not on running them but deeply engage them to make sure the products are operable at scale.
A sneak peak of some benefits you have by joining Cognite :
- Opportunity to work with and learn from some of the best people on some of the most ambitious projects found anywhere, across industries
- A direct impact on how we do design to tackle some of the most critical issues to create greener industries - at Cognite speaking up is an obligation to ensure we all become better every day
- A highly modern and fun working environment with sublime culture across the organisation
- Flat structure with direct access to decision-makers, with minimal amount of bureaucracy
- Competitive salary and an array of benefits
- Weekly internal or external sharing and learning sessions
- Free healthy foods and drinks to keep you energised throughout the day + a heavily subsidised lunch offering in our modern canteen
- Free staffed gym and two hours work out weekly, within working hours
- Have the gear of your choice to ensure that you are as comfortable as possible doing your job
- Modern leadership style with regular follow ups
- Norwegian classes - if relocating to Norway
- Extended private health services.
Excited about this opportunity? Apply today!
You can leave your application through the link apply button and our recruitment team will be in contact with you. Please do not hesitate to contact our Senior Recruiter,